Footloose Video audition guidelines for the role of “Rusty”:
Footloose postponed until summer 2021, more updates coming soon.
NPT is an edgy non profit theatre that works with Broadway, film and TV pros onstage and off to promote our mission of creating young leaders, global thinkers and problem solvers through arts education and productions. There are a mixture of professional and local adult performers as well as inner city youth and lower Fairfield youth in our productions. We also promote another community nonprofit that reflects the theme of each show. This year that nonprofit is Kids Helping Kids!
We are inviting you to submit your audition video with the specific instructions below. Please read it thoroughly before you submit so that you include all the proper requirements in your video. DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS – APRIL 20th, 2020.
BE SURE TO READ THE REST OF THIS INFORMATION BEFORE YOU SUBMIT.
JUST FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE STEPS:
*Please note: This audition information is only for the role Rusty in our August production of Footloose. Auditions for other adult roles will be live (June 7)) and through video submission. Please see the webpage on “Adult auditions” for details.
RUSTY – ARIEL’s friend. Sassy and fun. Female Mix Pop belt. High F and Low A. This role will be chosen by our GALA audience as we did for the role of “Conrad Birdie” last year. The initial video audition will be followed by a “live callback” on June 7th if you are chosen. If you cannot appear on June 7th at our Gala and do not feel comfortable with a “Live Callback” and “Vote” by our audience to determine who wins this role, please do not audition for this role. Age – appearing as a high school junior/senior. $100 per week (housing provided if necessary. Would prefer someone who has a car) or if actual teenage, free tuition (worth $799) for the summer experience and shows.
“RUSTY” (the role made famous in the movie by Sarah Jessica Parker) must have incredible vocal talent and stage presence. Performers 16+ may submit. Last year’s chosen winner, Cameron Burrill (cast as “Conrad Birdie”) says of the Live Callback format: “It was the most fun I had ever had at an audition. NPT made e feel like an absolute rockstar and getting to feel a live audience in an audition is a rare experience. After I won, the chance to work with everyone from Broadway pros to new up and comers was the opportunity of a lifetime and so unique”.
Requirements for creating your Footloose three minute audition video:
Must include these things but should not be over 5 minutes in length:
- Introduction (Slate: your name and what you are performing, height,)
- Two (2) songs, 1. “Let’s hear it for the boy” (cut below) 2. Song of your own choosing (pop is best)
- Dialogue scene (below)
- Include Head shots and resumes
- Include info sheet (below)
- INTRODUCTION: Tell us about yourself. Short introduction should include your name, and why you would be a great Rusty in our production. The “about me” portion of the video should be no longer than 30 seconds, but please still sing 2 songs even if it’s collectively longer than 3 minutes.
- TWO SONGS: Perform two (2) short songs (one from the show – see download- and one of your choosing) We suggest 32 bars or so of your song choice. NO a cappella is allowed for video submissions. You may use this youtube background track for “Let’s hear it for the boy”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdXljhKeqOQ&feature=youtu.be or have someone play it for you on piano. You must sing to a background track, accompany yourself, or have someone accompany you. Youtube or Vimeo is best but you can also send a file. SONG CUT FOR YOU TO DOWNLOAD BELOW.
- DIALOGUE SIDE: Include one “side” that we will provide for you to download here from the script. Please have a “reader” off camera. SCENE TO DOWNLOAD BELOW.
- Attach Headshot and resume to email with your video
- Fill out the info sheet below (Button below) and return it in your email.
Dress however you like, but remember we are also casting based on how you would look for the part.
Requirements to be considered:
1. You must be available for all rehearsals starting July 26th through the show dates, Aug 14th and 15th (three shows). We will not consider anyone who must miss more than two rehearsals and we cannot allow any missed rehearsals during tech week.
FOR REFERENCE: Most “teen” rehearsals are 12-5pm weekdays and adult rehearsals are evenings from 6-9pm (variable calls). Weekends are 12-7pm (variable calls) and the TECH/DRESS week is 3:00 – 10:00pm August 10, 11, 13, 2019 (mon/tues/thurs) with three performances: August 14 (fri) & August 15 (sat) 2019.
2. Salary: Non AEA semi-pro or college age we will be paying $100 per week for 3 weeks and housing/one time travel per diem). Please let us know if you have local housing. If you are an actual TEEN for this role (16-18 years) you will receive free tuition (worth $699) for the summer experience and show. This includes all the breakout professional master classes as well.
3. We will be narrowing all the submissions down to the best finalists. If you are chosen for the finals you must be available to sing at our Gala on May 3rd 4-6pm so that our audience (and your friends) can vote on you for the role. This is how we will choose the role. For these finals you must provide your own transportation and housing in CT. If you cannot do this, please do not submit your materials.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS – MARCH 22 2005
FINALISTS WILL BE ANNOUNCED – APRIL 30TH
PERKS FOR ALL FINALISTS:
- All Finalists will be given the chance to perform as a soloist at our Gala on May 3rd (with Broadway pros) and before all three shows in August if they choose.
- All Finalists will be given 2 complimentary tickets to Footloose.
- All Finalists will received a 30 min Entertainment Business coaching “The Business of the Business” from Broadway veteran and NPT Artistic Dir. Kristin Huffman
- Extensive Press and PR surrounding the competition for this role will include you!
PERKS FOR THE WINNER:
- Professional role for your resume
- Fee for services Non union college or adult $100 per week + housing or if teen, free tuition for the summer.
- Footage from the show cut into a demo reel for your website or youtube channel
- FAN CLUB! created for you from June 7through the end of the show which includes TV appearances and all PR for the show. NPT’s Teen Youth Board members will create a “Fan Club” specifically to promote you for the three months leading up to the production. Some features include extensive social media (twitter, facebook, instagram posting), and all around crashing the boards in PR for you!
- And all finalists perks.
Guidelines for a successful video audition:
- Videos should be no longer than 3 minutes in length.
- It is important that we can see and hear you! Please check the audio on your video before sending to NPTfootloose@gmail.com. Youtube or vimeo is preferred method of viewing. AND BE SURE to put “Rusty” in the subject line.
- Do not over-edit your video. We prefer stripped down performance and would much rather see a straightforward, un-edited performance that shows both your personality and talent.
- Make sure your contact information is part of the video itself. Say your name in your intro. You should have your name and contact info on the video itself as well.